Friday, August 9, 2013

Portrait of Daniel in the street

When I set up for the days shooting it was completely overcast. This let me set up in the open instead of hiding in the shade. Daniel Adams rode past on his bike and made a comment about the old camera.

When people make a comment I take it as an invitation to start a conversation. None of these portraits happen without starting with a conversation, then explaining to them what I'm trying to do, and then finally asking if they would like to be in the project. It's a bit of a process each time but I've had some great talks with the people living in the area. About a quarter will agree to a photo although those that decline are one step closer to saying yes when I see them next time.

Daniel is working in the area cleaning houses. With two young sons and a third on the way, cleaning pays the bills for now.

-Rob Skeoch



Although I've worked as a photographer all my life, I'm currently back at school trying to finish my Master of Fine Arts Degree at the Maine Media Workshops and College. 

Cig Harvey is one of my mentors and the project I'm working on is a documentary on north Hamilton. 

My retail store for rangefinder gear and Zeiss lenses is www.rangefinderstore.com 

My retail store for large format photo supplies is www.bigcameraworkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment