Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Set up and wait, large format documentary work


I'm trying a fresh method for my street documentary work. 
I find an area that I think might work for a photo.

For the most part I like to work out of the wind and in shade. It's also nice if the background is interesting, but most important is being out of the wind.

I set up my camera. It's a Shen-Hao 4x10 with a Nikkor 120mm lens.

And I wait. I start a conversation with everyone I can. I'll talk with anyone. I'll talk weather, politics, garbage day, photography, whatever they want to talk about. I give them my complete attention.

Most times they aren't interested in having a picture taken, but sometimes they are.

Steve Pernar talked about looking after his mom, living in Port Dover, and an upcoming hospital visit because 'his head hurts a lot'.

He was a nice guy and had time for a couple frames before the light was gone, even these were at 1 sec.

-Rob Skeoch





Although I've worked as a photographer all my life, I'm currently back at school trying to finish my Master of Fine Art Degree at the Maine Media Workshops and College. 

Cig Harvey is one of my mentors and the project I'm working on is a documentary on north Hamilton. You can see her work in the current issue of American Photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment