Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sony RX1 vs Leica M9 with Zeiss 35mm


I had a chance to borrow the Sony RX1 camera for a few days. This is a full-frame camera with a prime Zeiss 35mm f2 lens on it.

I also have the Leica M9, this is also a full-frame and has the Zeiss 35mm f2 on it.

You can buy the Sony RX1 here.
You can buy the Leica M9 here.
You can buy the Zeiss 35mm f2 from my own store and it's on sale right now.

I've posted these shots taken with the RX1 and M9 at each F-stop. Both cameras were on a tripod. Of course if you only use the camera to take pictures of brick walls, I would get another hobby.

RX1 was set at ISO160 and these are jpegs right out of the camera. (I don't have the software to open the RAW files)

Leica M9 was set at ISO160 and these are jpegs right out of the camera to keep it somewhat fair.

To keep the blog a reasonable size I've skipped a few f-stops but you can find the links to the full range.

RX1 at f2
You can find the hi-rez file here on flickr...

Leica M9 at f2
You can find the hi-rez file here on flickr...


RX1 at f2.8 here

Leica M9 at f2.8 here

RX1 at f4 here

Leica M9 at f4 here

RX1 at f5.6
You can find the hi-rez file here on flickr...

Leica M9 at f5.6
You can find the hi-rez file here on flickr...

RX1 at f8 here

Leica M9 at f8 here

RX1 at f11


Leica M9 at f11

RX1 at f16

Leica M9 at f16

RX1 at f22

Leica M9 at f22


-Rob Skeoch

My retail store for rangefinder gear and Zeiss lenses is www.RangefinderStore.com
My retail store for large format photo supplies is www.bigcameraworkshops.com

4 comments:

  1. Rob, what's your verdict/opinion?

    derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, would really love to hear your analysis and conclusion please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. White balance on Sony seems way off, distorsion correction on Sony is turned OFF and chr. aberation correction probably as well, bad test, tester fault?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sony is way sharper to my eyes at all apertures, but hard to tell really not having original jpegs. I dont know why there is the difference in FOV (why no compensation?)

    ReplyDelete