Sunday, October 23, 2011

Shooting at a home for street kids

There's no fuel in Malawi. When there's a rumour of fuel people start lining up. Once the truck gets there they run out long before the line does. A "heartbreak" line is when you spend 8-10 hours waiting for the fuel truck and it never shows up. I met one women today who waited 8 hours with her two-year old and the fuel ran out when she was four cars from the front. That would be a heartbreaker too.

With no fuel for the truck, I took three buses and spent a couple hours traveling to get to a home for street kids. It was well into the afternoon before I showed up.

I shot video with the Sony VG10 and did stills with the Sony NEX7 and a Leica M9. Some friends put on a soccer clinic for the kids then played a game at the home.

This shot was done with the NEX7 and Sony Zeiss 24mm f1.8. Lots of light here but I'm loving this combo. Once you get this camera set up how you like it, it becomes a joy to use... and the lens is real nice.

I didn't feel I needed real soccer action so I did this shot showing the overall scene, again with the NEX7 and Zeiss combo.

This one continues with the soccer/overall scene. It was shot on the Leica M9 with a Zeiss Biogon 28mm f2.8 lens. I think it shows what was happening better than action would.
This final shot was done with the NEX7 and the new 55-210mm zoom. The lens and camera are pre-production but it made a nice image of this little guy who grew up on the street and was waiting for his turn in the game.

Rob Skeoch
My retail store for traditional photo supplies is www.bigcameraworkshops.com
My retail store for rangefinder gear and Zeiss lenses is www.rangefinderstore.com

No comments:

Post a Comment