Friday, June 10, 2011

Life is in the details... using the Sony A35

I had a chance to try the new Sony A35 camera. All of these photos were done with the Sony 70-400 G-series lens. Mostly on "Aperture Priority" and most often wide open. The first two frames are full frame, although I've reduced the size for up-load reasons.

I thought the camera carried the details nicely in these bird shots. I tried to focus on the eyes and let the rest go where it may. The detail in the feathers is nice as well as the subtle colours.
This eagle was shot in a cage through the wire fence. It still retains basic sharpness and the shallow depth of field at 400mm makes the brick wall behind mostly just tone.... which I like.
The next three shots are done through my car window. I wasn't able to open the window. If I had know this was the case I might have cleaned the glass before I went. Anyway I'm still happy with the shots and how the camera was working.
Overall the A35 is easy to use and seems to provide great quality. All this in a camera selling well under a $800.

Rob Skeoch
My retail store for traditional photo supplies is www.bigcameraworkshops.com

1 comment:

  1. Dear Rob,

    Hope this message finds you well.

    It is a feat that you took 30 years of photograph. I have recently bought alpha-35 Sony SLR camera.

    There is one thing i also fail to do, i don't think its the camera's incapability but due to my ignorant about the power of A-35.

    Here i go.

    Using it to achieve the street light starburst effect is very easy, a tripod, long exposure and big f-stop can do the job.

    However, when it comes to getting a Sunlight starburst effect, then i can't get it. I tried my friend's Canon D60 with any lens, at setting of f-12 and 1/500 onwards, sunlight starburst effect is so easy. However, when it comes to my a-35, i just cant seem to get it, i can literally set it to f-32, 1/4000, yes sunlight starburst but the entire background is dark.

    What did i do wrong?

    Thank you very much for your patience and guidance, looking forward to your two cents worth of wisdom.

    you can reply to "laichiansing@gmail.com

    Regards,
    Ralf Lai

    ReplyDelete