Tuesday, August 10, 2010

No way around it, you need long glass

This blog is a continuation of the previous post where I'm talking about shooting the football game on Saturday.

The main lens I used was the longest lens I could get. In this case it was the Sony 70-400mm G lens. I don't usually use a zoom lens for football but wanted to try it. Usually I go with the 300mm F2.8 from Sony. In the past when I shot with Nikon I owned the 400mm F2.8. Without a doubt the most useful lens I've every owned and a must have for the sports photographer. You just can't replace long glass, not with cropping, not with a tele-converter.

A long lens allows you into the game, drops the background out and gives you a chance for a photograph with impact.

For the classic quarterback in the pocket you need the long lens.
For the star receiver breaking away from the defense you need the long lens.
For the next frame you still need the long lens.
For the star receiver celebrating his touchdown you need the long lens.
For the quarterback running for his life you need the long lens.
And you guessed it, for that stack-em-up shot when the quarterback needs a yard .... you still need the long lens.
No way around it. If you're shooting sports, you need a lens that covers 400mm.

Rob Skeoch

No comments:

Post a Comment