Sunday, July 4, 2010

Trying for a final print

Another day and we're back in the darkroom.
This time we're making the good prints.

The paper of choice is the Ilford MultiGrade Fibre Base Warmtone. This paper is considered the best on the market by many printers and is one of the easiest to use.

Since most of the images have people in them we decided to use a warmtone paper instead of a true black and mixed up fresh Bromophen to get the most out of the paper.

This first shot started off as a full frame horizontal on the proof.
The first print had some problems and we tried to burn our way through... adding tone to the whites and the wall.

We made three or four prints like this before deciding to lower the contrast of the entire image and try again.

With the contrast dialed down we were able to get a nice full-toned print.

The next frame on the roll was from a similar situation and we were able to make a nice print rather easily since the learning curve was on the previous shot.
The prints sat over night to dry and then had to be flattened in the mounting press. Hannah's right, this is a lot of work.

If you're looking for printing supplies you can find them here.

Rob Skeoch

No comments:

Post a Comment