Friday, October 23, 2009

Adding the Bessa III to your kit


There is no perfect camera. I know I've owned them all.

If you want a light camera for travel you usually give up quality or flexibility. If you want higher quality and more options you have to haul more gear.

Shooting digital and film means at least two cameras and maybe two systems. More stuff to buy and carry.

Somewhere in this equation sits the Bessa III 667 camera that Voigtlander recently came out with. This is a medium format camera that shoots both 6x6 and 6x7 negatives, yet it folds into a clam shell case that will fit into a large pocket.
I had a chance to shoot with this camera at my recent "Graffiti Alley" model shoot in Toronto. I thought the camera worked great. I used it mostly wide open at F3.5 but tried a few vertical shots at F5.6 so I could compare the results.

Overall it's very nice.

It doesn't have many options. Only one lens but you can shoot both 6x6 and 6x7 with it. It would be a great travel camera, giving you a larger negative taken with a very sharp lens. And it wouldn't add to much bulk or weight to your travels.

These shots of Katie were taken on the new Ektar 100 film from Kodak and scanned at my local lab. They look great.


Rob Skeoch
www.thepicturedesk.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment