Saturday, January 5, 2013

Street Photography at the Hamilton Market


I headed out this morning to the Hamilton Farmers Market to try and find a photo or two. I hadn't been to the new market but I saw it had a large bank of windows so I figured the light must be Ok inside.

I didn't get to the market as early as I wanted to since I wanted to say goodbye to one of my daughters who was heading back to school after the Christmas break. I arrived at the market just before lunch, which is well after the action. The market actually opens at 6am on Saturday's and by the time I arrived a couple stalls and bakeries were sold out.

I did find this shot of Josie feeding her six month old grandson Lucas. It was a big day in Lucas life as he was trying solid food for the first time... although it looked more like mush to me than my idea of solid food.... which would look like a steak.



After the market I headed down King William Street and found the guys at Cheapies Records unloading a car full of vinyl they had just bought off a collector. The alley behind the store is a bit sketchy. It would make a great background for a number of shots but the best I could do was this one. 


As I was walking past, I saw Jeremy Lane sitting in the front window of Homegrown Coffee shop and asked if I could take a photo. It turns out he was celebrating. He had just put in an offer on a new home. I thought it was the nicest shot of the day. Shot with the M9 at 1/60 second at around f4.

Rob Skeoch

Although I've worked as a photographer all my life, I'm currently back at school trying to finish my Masters in Fine Art Degree at the Maine Media Workshops and College.
Peter Turnley is my current one-on-one mentor for this semester and the project I'm working on is a documentary on north Hamilton.
I usually use the same camera and lens combo when shooting this work. I want things to have a consistent look. The camera is the Leica M9 and the lens is the Zeiss Biogon 28mm f2.8, which is one of the nicest rangefinder lenses on the market.

My retail store for rangefinder gear and Zeiss lenses is www.rangefinderstore.com
My retail store for large format photo supplies is www.bigcameraworkshops.com

No comments:

Post a Comment