Saturday, January 1, 2011

What I should be doing right now

How hard can you work?
For how long?
For how many days?

I've been hired to write a third year college program on Sports Photography. All 16 courses, 15 classes per course. Three hours per class. I get to write it all. Class outlines for every class. Course outlines and goals. It's my baby.

It's also due.

I've been pushing hard the last few weeks. I set my darkroom timer to one hour and hammer out as much as I can... no interruptions, emails or phone calls.... none of the Resistance I wrote about yesterday.

The timer goes and I switch to 15 minutes of making coffee, returning calls and checking emails.

Then back to the hour of concentration on the course. It's the most disciplined I've ever worked in my life. Some days I get five hours in. The most ever was six. I'm getting a ton done.... each day I'm closer to the light at the end of the tunnel.

The hard part is getting back in the saddle the next day. I have other things to do as well, a business to run, a website that needs time and energy. Fortunately Sony and the Spectator have given me a bit of time off for the holidays so I can get at it. After a long tough day, it's hard to get started the next day. It's that "Resistance" Steven Pressfield was talking about.

I hear the timer. I gotta go.

Rob Skeoch
www.thepicturedesk.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment