Sunday, August 15, 2010

Using the faster Biogon 2,8/21mm


This is part two of testing the Zeiss 21mm lenses on the streets of Toronto.

The first roll of film I shot at Caribana was with the Zeiss Biogon 2,8/21mm ZM. The lens is the more popular of the two because people want the F2.8 speed. Leica makes a 21mm F1.4 which is the speed champion of this length, but most people feel the F2.8 options are more reasonable and fast enough.

I was shooting in full daylight and had added a two-stop B+W040 orange filter to the lens to try and get some detail in the clouds. I was using Ilford's Delta 100 film but was shooting it at ISO 30 which is my normal way of using the product in full sun. I used F5.6 and had the camera on "A" or "Aperture Priority" on the Bessa R4A.
Since the event was just getting started a few of the images were along the road outside the parade staging area. For most parades I find the setup/staging area has better photos than along the parade route and this is where I spent most of my time.

I opened this new lens just for this review, used it for one roll of film over a couple hour period and am now selling it as a store demo. If you're interested you can find it listed on my website forTraditional Photo Supplies.
Rob Skeoch
www.thepicturedesk.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment