Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's not about the camera, it's about the memories

Each summer I take a fun photo of my youngest daughter and her friends. Lot's of laughter, jumping in the air, climbing fences, having fun. We've done it for years and have a nice collection of memories of her and the girls.

Earlier this week one of the other mom's called and asked if I could do a similar photo of her daughter with another group of friends, the group she dances with. I thought I could do it Wednesday night down by the lake.

I think a hurricane was going through on Wednesday night, huge wind, lightning, dark skies. I went down to the lake ready to re-schedule. The mom's said we couldn't.... it had to be done that night. We waited for the lightning to blow through and did the best we could.... six drowned rats, we joked.

We make photographs for the memories. That's why they're important. Photography isn't about the cameras, or the film, or the sensor size. It's about the moments that are frozen in time. Moments we can bring back. Memories of happier days.

The photos had to be done on Wednesday. Thursday morning one of the girls was starting chemo.

Taken with an Sony A500 with the Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8 with fill flash. Taken in the rain because it had to be done on Wednesday.

Rob Skeoch
www.thepicturedesk.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment