Sunday, September 27, 2009

The smell of hockey gloves is back


The mood at the rink felt a little different last night.

I know the real season hasn't started yet, and the "Buds" haven't won anything for a lifetime... but there was a different feel... the feel of optimism.

Now I'm not jumping on any bandwagons, I'm a dyed in the wool Habs fan, but it was fun being back in the rink, and working a Red Wings game is always great.

I had a chance to test the newly released but not yet out, Sony A550 Alpha at the game. I was very impressed with how the camera worked. I shot one period at IOS 1600, very nice, and one period at ISO 800. The third period I shot with the A850, but the A550 is easier to focus because the focus squares are larger.

I usually shoot sports on "Spot" focus and re-crop later. One of the reasons I don't use "Local" is the focus points outside the centre are smaller on the A900 and A850. I've been asking Sony to make them larger every time I test a camera. On the A550 each focus zone is a square, which I like, and they're larger, and spread out over more of the frame. All improvements for sure.
I shot most of the game using the 70-200 F2.8 G lens. It's a standard length for most of the shooters although the team photographer who was sitting next to me had the new Sigma Apo 50-500mm on his D3. The F6.3 wasn't an issue with him because he's plugged into the building's strobes and was shooting at F8 anyway.
This should be a fun season.
I'll keep ya posted.

Rob Skeoch
www.thepicturedesk.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment